Here's a quick allergy friendly recipe for the next time you're looking for something sweet. This SunButter puppy chow is free of the top 8 allergens, so it can be a great go-to for families with food allergies. Sometimes families without food allergies are looking for allergy friendly treats to bring to school, parties, or maybe even potlucks. This is a quick 15 minute recipe that can also be easily made with the help of your little ones.
10 cups gluten-free rice cereal
1 cup Enjoy Life semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup SunButter Sunflower Spread
1/4 cup margarine
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 - 2 cups powdered sugar
1. Gather kitchen supplies: 1 large bowl, 1 large microwave safe bowl, mixing spoon, measuring cups + spoons, knife, wax paper.
2. Measure gluten free cereal, set aside in the large bowl.
3. Set out microwave safe bowl. Measure chocolate chips, SunButter + margarine. Pour each ingredient into the bowl. Microwave for 1 minute on high, uncovered. Stir. Microwave for an additional 30 seconds. Or, until stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla. Pour the warm mixture over the cereal. Stir until evenly coated.
4. Slowly pour powdered sugar over the coated cereal. Continue mixing + pouring the powdered sugar until evenly coated.
5. Lay out a sheet of wax paper. Spread the SunButter puppy chow onto the wax paper to cool.
6. Enjoy your allergy friendly treat!
I hope you enjoy your allergy friendly treat. If you make it + snap some pictures of your finished treat or your fun process with your kids, tag your photos on Instagram #beallergyfree to be a part of the conversation.
If you are making this treat to share with friends that have food allergies, please remember to not cross contaminate your ingredients or cooking utensils. FARE, Food Allergy Research + Education, has great resources for avoiding cross-contact of allergens in the kitchen. Please feel free to read if you are looking for ways to help or include your friends with food allergies.