I'm sharing 10 tips for hiring a family photographer. It is so important to document childhood memories, tiny moments, family milestones + everything in-between through photography. The moments + stages slip by + they can't be re-lived but they can be captured in a photograph. Kathleen Peachey of Kathleen Peachey Photography has captured many special moments of my family. I'm sharing what to look for in a family photographer here.
1. Hire a family photographer that is a story teller. I love that Kathleen is a passionate story teller. She is an artist that tells stories through photographs. She captures emotions + lived-in moments. If these photos don't capture the true magic of childhood, I don't know what does. This is exactly how I will remember my children when they are taller than me + the small-ness of childhood passes by.
2. Hire a family photographer that documents timeless memories. The little moments are the ones that will matter the most in the years to come. I love the candid portraits that Kathleen is able to capture. Photos like this one of Bridger at 9 months are memories that I am proud to display on my walls + in my baby books. The way his eyes are captured make me feel like my baby boy really is looking right back at me. His little calm yet vibrant personality is shining right through this image. This timeless portrait is something I will always treasure because this single capture encompasses so much about a period of time in Bridger's life.
3. Hire a family photographer that loves kids, makes them laugh + genuinely has fun with kids. My kids are used to being in front of my camera + I sneak it out when I can. But, something magical happens when someone else can capture your children from their perspective. Kathleen has the sweetest spirit + the kindest heart. She tells the kids funny jokes, knows their favorite animals + surely knows about their passion for all things trash trucks, trash cans + recycling. They love to take photos with her camera + they genuinely feel comfortable around Kathleen.
4. Hire a family photographer that helps you feel calm + beautiful in front of the camera. Of course I am so self critical of myself. Probably no one else could be as hard on myself as I am. But, I value photos of my children with me in them. Because, I was here. I was in all these small moments with my children, day in + day out. I value this documentation of my of my motherhood journey + the memories I hope my children will grow to cherish + look back on. Kathleen is such an encouraging person, it's part of her nature. I don't think she even realizes how many compliments + sweet words that she gives out. I sure am thankful for them, her kindness helps give me the confidence to capture treasured moments with my children.
5. Hire a family photographer that creates art with black & white photos. Personally, I completely love a good black + white photo. I love to hang black + white photos on the walls in my house. I love the timeless look of black + white. I love how black + white photos can compliment each other when put together. I love how bringing a photo down to black + white strips some things down + brings out more raw emotion. I feel like black + white helps you to peek into someone's soul a little deeper. Clearly, Kathleen is a magician with black + white. She creates one of a kind miracle works of art through black + white.
6. Hire a family photographer that loves to capture all of the family milestones. Kathleen is able to capture details + emotions from an event or time that help you travel back. She has preserved memories of my pregnancy, early days as a family of 5 + moments of my children growing. Her wedding videos make me feel like I know the couple. Her birth photos bring me right into the room. Details of milestones are so important to capture + she does so beautifully.
7. Hire a family photographer with an artistic eye. They say a photo isn't created by a camera, its created by the person behind it. I completely agree. Top of the line cameras can only do so much. The person behind the camera uses the light to create the image, chooses how to compose the images + ultimately has their own style of editing. I love that Kathleen has a clear artistic style that you know you will get so beautifully when you work with her.
8. Hire a family photographer that is very patient. Patience is a virtue + it surely is when it comes to family photography. Especially when photographing families like mine- 5 people + all boys! Here you can see Kathleen patiently captured my boys starting a sucker war + playfully poking each other. Also, Bowan got a sliver + Breck was lovingly looking at his finger + trying to help. These are not the posed photos of everyone looking at the camera, but they are true reflections of their childhood. Kathleen has been so patient with my boys as they've run around the house (sometimes naked), made furniture into garbage trucks, jumped off of things + eaten sticky suckers. Special moments can be captured when the photographer is patient + waits for the moments to come to them.
9. Hire a family photographer that can gently direct + encourage you. Kathleen has a clear style + a clear goal to capture grace. She loves feedback + guidance on photos that you'd love to have. Yet, she is able to gently direct a photo session to a time where moments can be captured even if it's in a way you might not have expected.
10. Hire a family photographer that believes in spreading the word of grace. This is what Kathleen believes in: I believe in spreading the word of Grace. I believe in the truth of kindness. I believe in the depth of love. I believe that a single photograph gives our hearts and souls the purest gift we could ask for. A memory of this beautiful life we live. Her words are so true + I can see her words inside of each of her photos.
I've loved working with Kathleen to capture moments with my family. I will always treasure them. Kathleen is based in Colorado , but can travel worldwide. If you would like to book her, she can surely come to you to capture your story with grace + kindness. You can contact her at Peacheyphoto@gmail.com if you would like to book her to capture your current milestones.
You can also enter to win a free 1 hour session with Kathleen here. If you'd love the opportunity to win the session please tell us why below in the comments.
Photography by: // Kathleen Peachey Photography
Related Posts featuring photography by Kathleen Peachey: